Friday, June 19, 2009

The Goals of Life

"I'm going to become the president of the United States," I told him eagerly with a grinning face.

"Well, I'm going to become a police cop," he piped back.

That was nearly a decade ago when I first said that. Over the next upcoming years, I've switched to also wanting to become a police officer, a fireman--no--a paramedic with the fast cars and emergency lights and sirens. Then, an airliner pilot, a San Jose M.E.R.G.E. team member (= S.J. SWAT Team, psh, yeah right), a doctor, a pediatrician, and now a pharmacist. Yet maybe something else now, a grammar teacher.

I cannot expect my future to be the same as it is perceived currently. Who knows? Maybe a life-changing event will pass by my life and I would become a completely different person.

Life is like an in-flight dart. If you have no goals, you're flying blindly allowing other outside influences to overcome and take you, similar to the wind. On the other hand, having a goal, a dream, whatever it is that you seek for or seek to be gives you a direction to head towards. The efforts that one undertakes to reach that destination is defined as how much will the dart is aiming, because if one tries hard enough, he or she will reach that bull's eye that has been yearned for all along--no matter what.

The only problem is that most people, unable to know how much that effort is, give up before reaching their hopes. And, hey, could've been an inch closer to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment