Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Friends and Family



It's been quite a while now since my last post in January. Ever since I stopped, I feel like I've closed my doors and am completely reserved. I don't want that to happen because if I shut myself up, my emotions inside of me will build up and I would feel as if I'm a nobody. At least by blogging, I know that though I'm not talking to nor is my blog directed to anyone in particular, there's at least a person who would care to listen to what I have to say. Now that's something you can't always do in life, even with best friends if that's what I'm looking for.

Coming onto today's topic is family and friends. Needless to say, it's what's holds the world together, and each individual finds his or her place on Earth this way. With the seniors at school leaving, I took the time to recollect my memories and look over what good times I've had with my senior friends. I met them when they were sophomores, and at a time where I considered myself a 'kid.' Now, I'm an inbound senior watching them go their separate ways in life. The passing of the banner during the Senior Farewell rally drove a spear through my chest, and I . That was it, they're gone, and now it's our turn to take their place. Sooner or later we'll be doing the same.

It made me realize that friends and family aren't that similar after all. I considered beforehand that my friends were my family, but that's not the case as it turns out unfortunately. I guess, friends are like family members but they come and go quickly.

Allow me to give some examples of this:
-- Adrian, a silly pal I met since Kindergarten. I went to school and hung out with him everyday at a Santa Clara school. We laughed, we shared and we even cried together (as kids). He was like a brother to me, until the school principal found out a few years later that I lived in San Jose and immediately removed me from the school. I was heartbroken for a week, for a long lasting friendship was torn by a 5 minute discussion with the principal.

--Louie, a 5th grade friend in the same class. I could recall giggling with him all the time, now we're still good friends but I miss telling him everything like I did back then.

--Tiffany, a former girlfriend in 5th grade, you can say. A bad time to start a relationship since school was about to end but I remember how much I liked her. I thought we'd be forever together until graduation to middle school, and we lost contact since then. I still don't know whether I am actually together with her up to now, but with this large time gap, I wouldn't say that's likely.

-- W., a transfer student to Morrill Middle School during 8th grade. I was the first person who greeted him at school and since that time, and we had a common interest in computers and gaming for quite some years. When high school rolled in, and despite still great buddies, the differences in our performances at school slowly drifted us apart.

Sorry, back to seniors! As sad as me experiencing the degradation of a "best friend" to "a friend," this will be even sadder. It's not the same because these guys are going on into college, and I won't see them ever again. Losing friends, the ones that simply left, is hard enough. Losing ALL my high school friends next year in 2010? I don't think I could smile in the graduation picture.

Family, on the other hand, is something else. Like my real and Japanese family, they're always with you and are concerned at all times. You leave them, they come back. They leave you, you come to them. "Stuck on You," as Elvis sings. For now, I have two good friends I consider family in my science classes. I walk in that class, grumpy and sleepy from my perverted History teacher's class. With my head down everyday after I settle all my stuff, their laughing just makes me brighter. At times, it's annoying when I'm trying to sleep, since I sit BETWEEN them, with HAHAs ringing in both of my ears. But I don't care. It's them that turns my day around and they've been the only ones who managed to pull out my inner, immature personality I normally wouldn't get out in public. They treat me with respect and help me when I'm having family--my real family--problems and I feel it's my obligation to help them out as well.

I apologize for the length of this post but I will summarize what I have learned today:
Best friends and friends are ones who take you up a step, but family are the ones who walk you towards the end on top.

I will miss you c/o 2009.
Hopefully, I didn't make a girl too teary in my 6th period class after telling her this.

I was supposed to sleep early but if I didn't write this down I fear I would forget. I'm done for the day, and I wish you all a good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment