Saturday, June 6, 2009

The Breezy Wind

I felt like biking today. Called Derek and Kimbo up, and they were glad to join during the glorious summer sundown hours. I felt like biking alone first before going out with anyone, and did so to Cataldi Park where, by chance, the Interact Club was throwing their party. I'm such a party crasher (: Came in, asked for some soda and left. No, just kidding, I talked for a bit and spent probably 30 minutes there.

So it's 7 o'clock, I phone Derek and he's nearby. Frantically, I rush to grab my helmet and change my clothes. Feeling all ready, I take one glance look down in the mirror at my body and realize I was wearing the exact thing Friday. I stand there staring for a good 5 seconds, and my head's telling me, "Meh. It don't matter. Now GTFO and catch Derek." I guess so. I'm a guy so it doesn't really matter what I wear and laundry was being done today. I mount on, and dash out my back gate. Upon the intersection of my residential street with the main one and in the nick of time, I see Lance Armstrong--in yellow biking clothes--dash by in his slick sunglasses and ask the biker to pull over for speeding. "Derek!" I shout, flailing my arms like a person in a burning building. He takes a quick left glance, and slowly pulls over. I tell him he's under arrest, and he chuckles.

We wait at Catalidi Park a bit for Kimbo to call back a bit, and after a while I called again. She picked up, saying she was on Capital Ave and asked to meet at the Hostetter Station. Derek and I, taking an interest in boy things like guns, are now the Super-Secret-Federal-Personnel-Interception officers. "Go, go, go!" I shout. We dash out and pedal as fast as we can on the road. I stick out my left hand with my palm, signaling a left turn and we cut through all the cars behind us to make a left turn. Seeing the station by now, we waited at the light for a good minute, and finally arrived. No one. Hmm. We bike around the station and the bus transfer area. We debrief. Mission failed?? But I'm James! No way that's possible.

10 minutes pass, and two silhouettes appear. Is that them? Derek confirms. And by the time my eye focuses, I see a girl--a giraffe, I should say--in big sunglasses with a face that resembles a spoiled white girl who just finished shopping. My mind is laughing. I pretend to be one too, and stick out my hands as if saying, "Nuh uh, talk to the hand" with my face turned away. She stops and a second person pulls up. "HIIIIIII, I'm Emily!" she squeals happily. Wow. That was adorable. I introduce myself.

As Kimbo looks at her scarred palm from a nasty bike accident, Derek being a medic, pulls out his bag and offers her band-aid with Neosporin for the wound. It takes about 3 minutes, for her to finally work it out. 4 bikes on the road, I request for all of us to move over to the sidewalk, but only get silenced.

At last, we move, talking amongst ourselves and split up at Sierra Road at Piedmont. I say by to the two sisters, and us boys head on our way.

We race up Sierra and are now facing a 30% upwards slope. I quit and walk my bike. :) We stop at a grassy field of a Church, and take pictures there. The breezy wind is blowing, and the two of us, having not seen each other for a long time, stand silently together watching over Downtown San Jose.

We walk our bikes up to the curve on Sierra, talking the WHOLE time catching up on the lost years, take our last pictures and bike home.

Here are the wonderful results, it was a marvelous day to see the sun. Too bad Emily and Kimbo missed it, though. They should've gone because it was worth all that energy.

Thanks Derek for this picture of me (:


Sunset over the San Francisco Bay




City lights. Downtown San Jose is on the right. The light flying above is a plane; picture taken at slow shutter speeds.

Blue hour @ North San Jose

No comments:

Post a Comment