Friday, July 17, 2009

Brushes with Death


"Owie!" a voice stole my attention from stirring the whipped cream Frappucino.

I look up, with the straw frozen in my hand, to see an innocent face melted by fear. It was a young boy was holding his index finger up, as if he was pointing at the ceiling. His mother quickly went over to pull him and his chair away from the wall, where another man diligently working on his laptop had stood up to access the situation.

"Don't touch the metal on the wall" his mother said. The man on his laptop realized that the child had touched a loose prong from his adapter connected to the outlet. Worried, he asked whether the child was okay, and his mother reassured him that everything was under control.

The child was sucking his finger the rest of his time in the cafe.

----

I, myself, have been shocked two times in my life that I can recall of--the latest being the worst. As a baby, I remember (doing a VERY STUPID THING and) sticking a penny just to see whether it would fit in the outlet on the wall. I was during my crawling stages.

Damn, the penny won't fit. The solution? Simply jam it in harder and move it around.

And sure enough, the outlet on the wall coughs up a white/bluish spark and buzzes at me. I was startled by it, immediately dropped the penny and crawled as fast as possible away behind a corner. After a few seconds, I crawled back to look at it again, and headed for my parent's bedroom. My parents had announced there was a blackout. Oops.

This memory is foggy but I certainly know the details were true.

The second time, I wanted to rewind a VCR tape (REMEMBER THE 1990s??) so I had to plug the tape rewinder in. I don't know how I was shocked this time but sure enough as soon as I had inserted the prong it, my body jolted for a second or so until I was aware that I was being shocked. I promptly dropped the plug, backing up and took the time to make sure I was okay.

My heart was racing. I was sweating. I had to make sure no serious damage had taken place, and so after that, I never touched that horrible device again. I would kick it now if I had the chance to.

I've been in other accidents as well, and MANY near-death experiences with traffic by careless drivers. (Aside: I hate old and most of irresponsible, young teenage drivers the most, so sorry if you're in this category!) And almost by lightning too, which struck some 2000 feet away from me.

All these experiences have had me thinking why am I still alive today? I clearly don't know, but I'm ever so grateful that someone has been watching me ever since. Thank you, God? My Angel? My ancestors? Whoever you are, I owe my life for you.

All of this certainly plays a role in my optimism.


I.M.O., Everything happens for a purpose or a reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment