Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Moody Day



First day of school today didn't feel like school at all. Another summer vacation day was what it seemed like. Though I woke up at 6, it wasn't much of a deal until I came home and found my eyes closed on the bus. I'll be okay. Forgot my phone and schedule though. Nonetheless, it was good to see everyone's faces again. Lots of hugs in a day. Despite this, I'm guilty and embarrassed of not remembering names, finding clever ways to know without asking directly. My mind has lost them through its ocean of thoughts.

"Hey can I see your schedule?" I ask. With a smile, I accept their paper and the first thing I do is scan for their name. (; Smooth move, huh?

Overall, it was indeed a fantastic day so far. To reason that the day would close with a perfect curtain call based on what has happened so far just blows this very logic away. During my 6th--last--period, my partner pretty much screwed up our lab results. (Yes, a lab on the first day of school!) The teacher has been giving instructions on the lab where we are supposed to count how many times the mouth of a goldfish opens or its operculum opens (a.k.a. the "gills") since when one opens, so does the other. My partner says okay, he'll count and I'll watch the timer.

Go! I start my watch's timer and he squints off counting. Suddenly, he tells me he can't see the mouth of the fish because of the glass beaker's distortion and guess what he does? Using logic based on what the teacher said, one may expect him to rely on the "gills" instead to count. But no! He throbs the thermometer around trying to spin the poor little goldfish around which scared the jeepers out of it. When you're scared, your heart beats faster. Your breathing rate increases. The same can be said for the rate of the goldfish's mouth opening. There goes our lab data.

I brush this act of stupidity aside since I have long accepted that nothing's perfect and continue on. Apparently, we're actually trying to see how temperature affects this rate, so we're sticking in ice cubes from a seperate, smaller beaker to lower the temperature by one degree each time after we count. On our fourth trial, Mr. NoCommonSense decides to get the ice cubes in there by dumping them in a fashion like pouring out of a cup rather than picking them one by one and dropping them in. All the ice cubes fall in. Earlier, our teacher had told us "Never go below 12 degrees (celsius)!" and now this bud has dumped the whole damn thing in. I freak out and exclaim "What the hell!?"

His response? "Damn, it must be cold in there." No s---, you just dumped the whole load of ice in there. All he does is watches as the fish is freezing to death. I see the thermometer dropping quickly, 18, 17, 16--TAKE THE ICE OUT, TAKE IT OUT!

As Albert Einstein once said,

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."


/sigh
179 days left.

No comments:

Post a Comment