Saturday, September 26, 2009

Silly Child


I accidentally walked into the ladies' restroom today. Dirt coated my fingers so I needed to find a place to wash my hands as soon as possible, before I obliviously wipe my eyes with them. Quickly scanning the room, I find a room with its door slightly open. I stick my head in and peek in. As soon as my head concluded that it was a restroom, I barged in and gleefully performed the three basic steps of hand washing. Fortunately, no females were in there.

THEN DON WALKS IN AND JOINS.
Two guys in a restroom for one. La la la, rub-a-dub-dub. It's a small restroom and we are standing within 4 inches next to each other. Abby finishes talking on her phone and stands outside waiting.

"Hey, Abby, look! Two guys in one restroom!" I snicker to her from inside.
She says nothing and stares for a split second.
"Not just two guys in a restroom, two guys in a women's restroom," she humbly adds.

I poke my head outside and peek around again. Sure enough, a feminine figure with capital letters "WOMEN" are inscribed on a round, blue sign. Oops. Two men in a teeny MALE restroom is disturbing enough, but a ladies' restroom? I'm seventeen and should know better. For the record, the last time I walked into the ladies' restroom was in kindergarten 12 years ago. Only that time, a yard duty lady called out "Is anyone in there?" and I squealed out in my 5 year old voice "Yes!"

Don't you just love it when your inner childish heart comes out? You could do anything you want and could care less about the world but your own instantaneous joy that passes on to others. No matter what people say, everyone would always remain a child at heart--my grandpa in Japan armpits farts for the hell of it.

Later in downtown, we happened to see these officers who, while patrolling this intersection, were chattering as if at a high school reunion. Men in uniform! And later when one of them gets fatigued from standing on the job, he doesn't just take a break and rest, but finds a chair and props it open right in the middle of the intersection. Two birds with one stone. He knows he's getting paid at the same time. It's easy to see why San Jose is one of the safest biggest cities in this country when police officers still have their eyes out in the middle of their breaks. Cops have their fun, too.
In America, men in blue with handguns are not always the best people to approach. But these guys--we need more people like them.

It doesn't stop there: A rather buff 30 year-old African American man on the light rail was karaoke-ing in his falsetto, the high opera-type of voice, to some songs on his cell phone and was practically dancing in his seat. His girlfriend slapped his arm twice to stop him from continuing. Darn, an ending to a good show too soon.

If only everyday we all could set aside our adult etiquette away...
Great post-sunset glow to conclude the day.
And here I am back home in the bucolic suburbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment