Saturday, September 12, 2009

Boom Boom Pow!


Thunder. 4 AM today. That picture is the actual storm that occurred early in the morning.

Drawn in my own world lying in my room, I was singing something with other people near the theater at the school. Yes, I was doing a musical out of nowhere. Dreams are weird, aren't they? Then, rumble rumble! My eyes pop open and I guess someone's pulling their recycle bin outside. But it echoed! Thunder, perhaps? Soon enough, I see flashes followed by more loud, muffled madness outside. I freak out. I've seen worse thunderstorms in Okinawa but since I haven't seen one in about a year, cold adrenaline rushes through my veins immediately.

I'm extremely horrified (worried that it might strike near) but I'm enjoying this light show. An urge to escape--somehow--but at the same time an urge to yearn. It's a rare feeling witnessing the mighty power of an electric storm.

So, let's get to the facts. The storm in the county caused 20 grass fires, striking in the Eastern Foothills (those golden hills you see to the east) near Mount Hamilton, which explains why they were partially muffled. But in San Francisco, lightning struck a power transformer, causing a chain reaction in which led to two cars exploding. I can imagine the man living in an apartment on the street where the incident happened with his eyes bulging out based on his interview by CBS 5. His reaction--funny stuff.

As for my dream, I would not have remembered it had I not signed online to ask my friends if they heard the thunder. Phew, I wasn't the only one. After the confirmation, I dashed out of bed to shut my windows which were OPEN at the time because I didn't want rain to fall in, and disconnected every single electronic charging in my bedroom. A fried phone would be bad. Real bad.

(Photo by Terry Rodery)

No comments:

Post a Comment