Monday, October 5, 2009

Lost


I feel so proud of myself.

Earlier today, I had to stand on the bus because there were no seats left, but a kind woman scooted a bit to make room for me. I thanked her and dozed off on the way home until I was awakened by her 10 minutes after. She'd asked me if this is a downtown-bound bus, and I told her the regrettable news. Yikes. She would have to transfer at Great Mall for another bus or take a Santa Teresa light rail train to downtown, but her English was limited at best. I could hardly understand her. All I knew was that she wanted to get to the Martin Luther King Jr. Library.

So I took some paper, wrote down what bus number to take at Great Mall (since it's faster than taking the train from there) and where she had to deboard. Most of my friends know I visit downtown every month too often, and that I know the city all too well. Knowing downtown SJ and all its points of interests, districts, high-rise buildings, and streets by heart, I proceeded to draw for her a quick map from where she had to get off and walk to find the library.

It was the first time I'd ever given directions to anyone like that. (:
All from a seventeen year old.

No comments:

Post a Comment